Rules.

edited February 2010 in Poetry / spoken word
Thanks to Juma for setting this up...

Okay, so these are the rules:

*24/48 hours -depending on what's agreed upon between the two poets- to submit your piece.

*No dissing.

*No motive-less votes

Pretty simple, right...

Creative takes on your topic , Imagery and articulate language are a few things to be taken into consideration - both when you write your piece or vote on one.

Lets have some fun :wink:

bless

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited May 2007
    this has been due a long time ago

BTW* wlcome back A*Soul
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited October 2008
    I'm afraid that for a lot of people the 24/48hour deadline is not managable, so I suggest that the 2 battling poets agree amongst each other about the dead line, then inform the mod who will set up the battle about the agreed dead line

I remember when I battled Konko that there was a limit of 16 lines. That adds a level of difficulty to the battle. But not sure if other poets are up to limiting their battle poem to a certain amount of lines (doesn't have to be 16!) or they just wanna be free to make it as long or as short as they want to?

I personally feel that there should be a set amount of lines to a battle poem. It is not always easy to limit or stretch your poem to a certain lenght, so it should be inspiring and challenging. What do yall think?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited October 2008
    As for me, I think time limit should be left upon the battlers to set their deadline.

About the no. of lines; I dont think there should be a limit because in a case that one opponent feels that the lines are too many for him / her the outcome might be a "quantity piece" rather than a "quality one" or in a case that the set lines are too little, he / she might not have enough room to drive their points home.

Those are jus' ma' opinions tho', please lets hear more from others.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited October 2008
    About the no. of lines; I dont think there should be a limit because in a case that one opponent feels that the lines are too many for him / her the outcome might be a "quantity piece" rather than a "quality one" or in a case that the set lines are too little, he / she might not have enough room to drive their points home.
    that's exactly my point, that's where the extra challenge comes in to play. everyone can write a poem about a given topic, but not everyone can fit their poem to a certain number of lines. that makes it more difficult, but it is not impossible. I personally had this limit of 16 lines for the first battle I did. It did make me think my piece through thoroughly and I thought it took the challenge to a higher level

but that's my humble opinion. btw I didn't mean like every battle poem should be i.e. only 16 lines. I'd leave that up to the battle poets to decide amongst each other too, just as the time limit.

or we could give a few set choices like 16 lines - 24 lines - 48 lines or like 3 stanzas of 8 lines - 2 stanzas of 6 lines, ...

that way, if a poet posts an open call out , they can give the subject + the number of lines/stanzas and then the poet who feels he or she can live up to it, takes on the challenge.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited October 2008
    [quote name="Poetic Seraph"]that's exactly my point, that's where the extra challenge comes in to play. everyone can write a poem about a given topic, but not everyone can fit their poem to a certain number of lines. that makes it more difficult, but it is not impossible[/quote]Great, now I get u' point clear, its all about workin' tha' brian an extra cell -- gets interestin' like a cage fight.
    btw I didn't mean like every battle poem should be i.e. only 16 lines. I'd leave that up to the battle poets to decide amongst each other too, just as the time limit.
    That would be great too.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited October 2008
    valid. battlers should even lay down their own rules.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited October 2008
    since we all seem to agree, here's a resume of the poetry battle rules

- open a call out topic: --> call out a specific poet OR call out a specific topic

- once the 2 poets have agreed on the topic: --> discuss the due date, number of lines/stanzas (or agree on 'no limits')

- send the battle poems to one of the admins ON THE DUEDATE. If you can't make the due date, inform BOTH admin and opponent (if possible)

the admin will put the battle online, the topic will show this: Poetry battle 'name poet 1' vs 'name poet 2' - 'topic' - OPEN FOR VOTES until *date of 1.5 months later*

the admin will also open a topic in the poetry forum with a direct link to the battle, so that people are aware that there's a new battle up.

Poetry battles stay open for votes for 1.5 months (since a lotta people here don't have regular access to the internet and should still get the change to vote). After 1.5 months the votes will be counted and the winner will be announced + added in the sticky SCORES topic.

PS all battles will stay open so that people can still comment on them, but votes won't count anymore once the battle is posted in the SCORES topic to announce the winner
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited November 2008
    great works mods. we should have leagues or somethin. soon as the battles get more active participants. and rankings probably. keeps people motivated. (rankings not based on how long you've been on the forum or how many posts, but probably on consistent dope joints) what u think?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited January 2010
    [quote name="vnorm"]great works mods. we should have leagues or somethin. soon as the battles get more active participants. and rankings probably. keeps people motivated. (rankings not based on how long you've been on the forum or how many posts, but probably on consistent dope joints) what u think?[/quote]

i think that's fair nuff though it seems this section is on the low lately
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited February 2010
    [quote name="vnorm"]we should have leagues or somethin. soon as the battles get more active participants. and rankings probably. keeps people motivated. (rankings not based on how long you've been on the forum or how many posts, but probably on consistent dope joints) what u think?[/quote]You got a strong point right there vnorm...especially about the ranking based on consistent "killer" poems...that is something I would love to see happen, I think Poetic Seraph and I gon' discuss this and then approach Juma so see if he can help us with that.

[quote name="vnorm"](yall should stop freeposting on battle threads its annoying to have to red through each to dtermine which one is a vote and which aint!)[/quote]That too, its not wrong to appreciate after getting a vote in a battle or sharing your observations without giving a vote but I think it would be a good idea to do this only after the voting date has expired and the scores / winner has been concluded.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited February 2010
    [quote name="Couzifer"]You got a strong point right there vnorm...especially about the ranking based on consistent "killer" poems...that is something I would love to see happen, I think Poetic Seraph and I gon' discuss this and then approach Juma so see if he can help us with that.[/quote]

that'd be great mods :D

cant wait to see that happen