African Martial Arts/Coming To America

Ever seen the film Coming To America? The one with Eddie Murphy as a African prince and Arsenio Hall. What style of martial arts is that used? the one where Eddy Murhpy and Arsenio Hall are fighting with those long sticks.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited December 2002
    kungfu i guess.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited December 2002
    [quote name="Anonymous"]kungfu i guess.[/quote]

Since when is kung fu became an African martial art? Kung Fu is China origin
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited December 2002
    D, where you from?? everything about Africa in that movie was fake and was a romanticized version of Africa for White audiences in search for an exotic feeling!!! I heard about some african martial arts but it sure was not was was pictures in the movie!!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited December 2002
    The only martial arts from Africa I know is Capoeira. It's an Afro-Brazilian martial art that was created 500 years ago. Slaves used to practice Capoeira to fight their masters or overseers when escaping. Capoeira looks alot like breaking (breakdancing) and karate. After slavery was abolished, Capoeria became a popular Afro-Brazilian dance.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited December 2002
    Here are more African martial arts:

Surma stick fighting

Borey is from Gambia it is a grappling art of the Mandiga; it consists of knees, headbutts, kicks and holds to break the neck, leg, collar bone and arm.There is a similar art in Senegal called Laamb.

Africa also has fist fighting systems which predate western boxing by centuries. Dambe is one such system from Nigeria consisting of kicks, punches, knees and headbutts. Dambe is a savage method of empty hand combat and a testament to the creativity of African warriors.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited December 2002
    Oh yeah there is also Seneglese wrestling.