Difference Between African Rappers In U.S. N Home??

Are there any African rappers in the U.S. or who draw Inspiration from the U.S.? I found this guy called Sona, The Voice from Cameroon west Africa, here's a music video of his from Youtube

[youtube]

Is this over Americanized?? How does U.S. influence us in Africa???

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited November 2008
    4 sum reason, his rapping style kinda (emphasizing kinda) reminds me of Pac. Most african artists grow up listening to American artists, so u know that 'american hiphop' is mostly what they grew up with. Most African catz listen 2 more american artists than they do local african artists so there's gotta be the influnce, everybody's influenced by sum1. The idea for hiphop was derived from Africa but it was commerciaised and brought 2 the mainstream by american artists so they mostly referred to as the fathers of hiphop. All in all, im trynna say that Yes, american hiphop artists have influenced us african artists, but we are on the verge of creating our own style. Heck, we already creating our own style...tbh, i dont like that song u posted up there, jus not ma thang.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited November 2008
    CHECK THIS ARTIST OUT HIS NAME IS (K.N.E.R.O. DAH GREAT) LIBERIAN ARTIST..ALOT MORE TO COME OF THIS PEKIN..
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited June 2009
    Colonialism has torn us apart, ripped our identity and culture, and many of us are still searching for an identity to call our own. Unfortunately many of us searching follow the wrong examples, the negative examples in places like America and replace our culture with theirs. A shame, because the art of expression with regard to lyrical wordplay has been reduced to appearance rather than content, and many reduce this gift from God to where you're from, what accent you have, what you look like, what you have and who you know. Check out this article by one of my favorite young African authors, Ben Hinson interviewing Ghanaian rapper Wanlov the Kubolor. I think you'll find it enlightening...

http://benhinson.blogspot.com/2009/06/h ... -with.html
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited June 2009
    word! the article link is dead though...
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited November 2010
    There is no doubt that the majority of African rappers living in the U.S. are influenced to a great extent by the inspiration they get from the U.S. After all, they are exposed to much American music and this will creep into their music without them even being aware of it as is very evident in this video!! But all this may change as the new African artists are coming with their own style so we will see a change in the new future in the music by these African artists.

high availability
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the wisdom! We will dissect their lyrics some time in the future so look for them in the waiting room!